Sunday, April 17, 2005

Servants of the Truth

Saturday, the cardinals destroyed Pope John Paul II's ring and lead seal providing the formal end to his reign. Monday, they begin the process to select his successor. I have already written my thoughts of John Paul. My Aunt Kathy sent me an email with her thoughts and, with her permission, I am sharing excerpts:

"Hi Larry,
Your thoughts on Pope John Paul II were very moving. It has been such a sad time. We all knew he wouldn't be with us forever, but we wanted him a little longer than God planned. He taught us a lot about life in his thoughts, words and actions (especially in the value of suffering) and he also taught us about death. Uncle Dean & I had a Papal Blessing from him at St. Peter's Bascillica in 1995 and I will never forget his face as long as I live. There was so much love! I knew I was in the presence of someone very special. I was brought up in the belief that I must model Christ--so much that people will see Him in me. That is a difficult thing to do, but each day I get up and try my best. I saw Christ in Pope John Paul II.

One of the local pastors of a protestant church here in Albany said Pope John Paul II was "the leader of the Universal Church--he was a leader for all of us". I think he was right. It must have been like that when Peter led the church. How sad his followers must have been when he was put to death. Their loss was no greater or no less than ours, I am sure.

Anyway, Pope John Paul II spoke one time to reporters covering his United Nations visit. This is part of what Pope John Paul II said to them:
"You are indeed servants of the truth; you are its tireless transmitters, diffusers, defenders. You are dedicated communicators, promoting unity among all nations by sharing truth among all nations. If your reporting does not always command the attention you would desire, or if it does not always conclude with the success that you would wish, do not grow discouraged. Be faithful to the truth and to its transmission, for truth endures: Truth will not go away. And I say to you, take it as my parting words to you — that the service of truth, the service of humanity through the medium of the truth, is something worthy of your best years, your finest talents, your most dedicated efforts."
Thank you, Aunt Kathy for the reminder, your encouragement, and your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment