Saturday, June 18, 2005

Father's Day

My kids gave me a booklet they made with various pictures of us along with captions. Each picture was a memory of something we've done together; like canoeing, making campfires, coaching their basketball teams, and even the burping contest we had during boys weekend. It reminded me that my job is to raise good citizens but that also I am supplying them with memories that they will have for the rest of their lives just as my father provided (and still provides) for me.

Several years ago, the boys gave me a poem that they attached to a piece of construction paper they had decorated. I have it posted at my office as a reminder of a father's real purpose:

"Walk a little slower Daddy," said a child so small.
"I'm following in your footsteps and I don't want to fall.

Sometimes your steps are very fast,
Sometimes they're hard to see;
So walk a little slower, Daddy,
For you are leading me.

Someday when I'm all grown up,
You're what I want to be;
Then I will have a little child
Who'll want to follow me.

And I would want to lead just right,
And know that I was true;
So, walk a little slower, Daddy,
For I must follow you."

- author unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment